Sometimes the “best gift” is not a monetary gift that comes all wrapped up in pretty Christmas paper and a bow.
Rather, sometimes the best gift is just an unexpected word from a friend.
In our case, it was an e-mail from a group of Deaf men and women in Kenya, Africa.
Since D.O.O.R. International started in 1999, DOOR has had FIVE clearly stated goals. Everything DOOR decides to do is funnelled through these five goals. In this case, look at the 4th goal below in red: Associations of Deaf Believers’ Fellowships.
DOOR, with God’s help, will…
- Establish an International Sign Language Bible translation program and develop resources and curriculum for Deaf Christian leaders.
- Establish leadership training program for Deaf Christians on each continent.
- Establish indigenous, reproducing Deaf Believers’ Fellowships in every country of the world through our Deaf programs.
- Establish an association of Deaf Believers’ Fellowships that promotes evangelism, discipleship, leadership training, growth and reproduction of Deaf Believers’ Fellowships.
- Establish a Deaf awareness program that educates hearing Christians about the need to provide Sign Language Scripture, Deaf Christian leadership resources, Deaf led training for the Deaf.
Establishing associations of Deaf Believers’ Fellowships (churches/small groups/Bible studies) often doesn’t get much “press,” but it is always in the works through DOOR in several places around the world. It’s a goal that takes a lot of time and patience as most of the Deaf we are working with have never been in an association before and didn’t understand exactly what it is, what is involved, why it is necessary, what the benefits are, and/or how to start and lead an association, etc. With lots of training, DOOR has gradually seen the associations being formed taking small, small steps. However, the momentum is building.
THE BEST GIFT ... here it is, this simple e-mail from Mission of Deaf Fellowships Kenya (written by a Deaf Kenyan):
Greeting in Jesus name our lord and savoir
We proposed that each church or Bible fellowship will be contributing a membership’s fee of 200 shillings (@$2.66) per month and every individual leader to contribute 50 shillings (@ .66) per month. All agreed that this money will help to build the Association. Those present also highlighted the need to vigorously train more leaders so we can have as many deaf people attending churches or believers’ fellowships. Also each year should have both the youth and kids camp, deaf school ministry country wide and other activities related to mission of deaf fellowship- Kenya.
Next week the youth and kids camp begin starting from 13th -19th December. Fifty five kids and youth under 25 years have already registered.
I have attached a photo of those who were present in the meeting. We will be sending you more reports and photos there after training.
That’s progress! Deaf leading! Deaf training their own! Reproduction! Missions!
Is God leading you to not only join DOOR in prayer, but also financially?
To donate on-line by credit card, please go to the D.O.O.R. International web site: http://www.doorinternational.com/ and either (1) scroll down to "DONATE" or (2) go to "DONATE" on the menu bar.
To donate by check, please mail to: D.O.O.R. International, P.O. Box 602167, Charlotte, NC 28260-2167